Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Slippers and Sisters

I have one sister, Lori, actually Loraine Elyse, but we have called her Odie for years. The kids didn't say Lori very well when they were young and then when I had my daughter, whom I named Lorilynn, it became confusing which Lori we were talking about. So... she became Odie.
I have a terrific sister. She is 3 years younger than me but we have always been good friends, even when living at home together. And she has always looked out for me and I for her.

Last week I opened the front door to get the morning newspaper and there was this box on the doormat. Hmmm, I love boxes. So, in it came and I opened it hurriedly since it was from Canada. That means something from Odie.

When I pulled back the paper and looked inside, tears welled up in my eyes as I saw these beautiful slippers. You see, these are not just slippers, they are a link to the past and the present. My sister found a pattern months ago for little slippers and she and I tried our hand at them in April when I was there visiting, only mine were about 3 inches long and made of felt for babies!

Needless to say, I was amazed to see these gorgeous handcrafted soft leather slippers in the box. And they fit my feet like a glove. That in and of itself was a wonderful gift.

But the really wonderful thing was that Odie had lined them with rabbit taken from a rabbit dress coat that my mother purchased probably 50 years ago. Lori and I loved that coat and it is now falling apart from age. We would sit next to my mom at church or wherever she wore it and would pet it over and over and over. It holds great memories of our mom and of good times. Thank you Lori for such a thoughtful gift that warmed my heart and brought me to tears as I left for work. You win BEST Sister of the Year !
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Lori said...

Nice work aunt lori, nice work.

kevandcan said...

Auntie Odie is definitely my favorite Aunt.

Jenn said...

Oh, wow, what a great gift! And what a great use for Nama's coat... can't exactly wear those things anymore but they are definitely previous.