Sunday, December 14, 2008

Freezing Hummingbirds

I LOVE hummingbirds! I was thrilled when we moved back home that one decided to frequent my feeder as soon as I put it up. I have been filling it regularly. Uncle Roger and Sherry Burkman, both who have lots of hummingbirds, shared with me that you have to make sure that you continue to fill it during the winter once you start. Seems the silly birds get "on the dole" and begin to rely on you for food. But that is OK! I love watching them.
Today it is snowy and cold, about 27 right now and despite the fact that the liquid keeps trying to freeze up, the determined little hummingbird is there. I had let it run out last week by accident, but within 10 minutes of my putting "juice" back into the feeder, there he was! I thawed it out 4 times today and he just kept coming back. What a great little Christmas gift.



2 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh that's cool, I'm jealous! I love hummingbirds, I've always wanted a good hummingbird house.

Sarah Anne said...

That's dedication, both on your part and the hummingbird's.
Nature is such a wonderful blessing. Hope you are enjoying your holidays.