Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What's wrong with this picture?

One of my favorite games when I was young was in the HIGHLIGHTS magazine where you looked at 2 pictures and tried to find what was different or what was out of place. So here is our version of that game.

We heard some loud thumping one evening this week downstairs and couldn't figure out why there were noises. It sounded like we had BIG ghosts in the house bumping around. Turns out it was the small shive (guess what that is) that flew off the end of the shaft of the motor of the furnace and broke the V belt. I get home from work and walk into the house and wonder why it is so cold. I usually set it to 65 while we are gone and turn it up when I get home from work. But it was lots colder than that, but the thermostat said it was ON and HEATING. But it was WRONG. It thought it was on, but it was OFF and it was not blowing a darn single ounce of warm air anywhere in the house.

Dad and I were thrilled when we opened the OLD furnace cover and saw it was only a V belt, as we had one of those already on hand on the floor area of the furnace just awaiting such an occasion, having learned years ago to keep one on hand. Dad went about fixing it, and then we flipped all of the circuit breakers back on, and whir, a nice sound.... for 2-3 seconds and then silence.
NO>>>>>> we cannot afford to get a new furnace and heat pump. No. no. no. It was fixed. But it wasn't. Seemed it now was getting absolutely no electricity to the unit and the motor so it wouldn't run. I had to leave, quite sadly I will say, to a temple recommend interview. All I could think about was how could we ever find $$ for a furnace repair??? But, miraculously, while I was gone, Dad unconnected and reconnected every wire in the whole thing, and ... it mysteriously started up again. I came home to a 68 degree house and I was SO happy. Good things do sometimes happen.

3 comments:

Chris Kline said...

Yay for temple recommend interviews.

Jenn said...

It's a furnace miracle! I'm glad dad worked his magic on it- you guys deserve a break.

kevandcan said...

We've been praying in every prayer for you since I called and heard about the heat furnace. I'm glad to see God answers our prayers. :-)

Love you!